Wednesday, October 8, 2008

When did people start attaching themselves to political parties like they do religions?

I like to think that people are thoughtful when it comes to their political affiliations. Political parties can change their core principles so it would make sense that people would switch between parties depending on the issues at hand and the candidates. A person might vote for FDR in the 1930s and Eisenhower in the 1950s and that could make perfect sense.

Lately, it seems to me that many people attach themselves to a political party as they would a religion. They proudly support McCain/Palin even though they will readily admit that the ticket doesn’t impress them and that the Bush policies have been less than stellar. I recently had an exchange with a couple of diehard Republicans that I found disheartening. I mentioned the economy, civil rights, the religious right, Palin’s complete incompetence, and their response was to just shrug and say, “I’m voting Republican.” It’s almost as if I’m asking a Christian to observe Chanukah when I suggest the idea to vote Democrat. Lest you think I am picking on Republicans alone, this behavior can be found amongst Democrats as well. (It doesn’t help that the Republicans have put forth such weak and dangerous candidates that it effectively limits this discussion to Republicans at this point.)

Not to oversimplify but I think this boils down to intellectual laziness and a need for identity. It’s become increasingly obvious to me that Americans and American women, in particular, have no common bond. We are growing more fractured and disconnected from each other. We use religion, politics, television, social networks, blogs, etc., to find connections and identities for ourselves. We accept sound bites and media portrayals without question. Critical thinking and independent thought are too time consuming and draining. It’s a bit like our dependence on processed foods. We know they are bad for us but they taste good and who has time to cook?

I hear and read stories of how Americans pulled together during World War Two – sacrificed for the good of the nation and supported each other – and wonder if Americans will ever feel that united again. To look beyond political parties and labels and connect with our shared identity…as Americans.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

NYC was united like that for like a week after 9.11. Remember that? It was really one of the most surreal experiences. Everyone was polite and helpful and kind and cab drivers didn't cut you off. Then it was back to business as usual. I would write more now but you just informed me it is time for me to tuck you in.

Anonymous said...

i try to have similar conversations with friends/family and it's so frustrating! i guess because i am neither democrat nor republican I don't understand the mind set that a smart individual takes when they aren't evaluating the candidate to vote for rather they vote with the party that they are affiliated with. And the people i reference here are smart, 2 Dr.'s and a CPA, it just baffles my mind.